- Ciclo de Conversas - Cycle of TalksFinding the Concept and Solutions for a Design and Multimedia Convention
- The briefing of this project was to create the logo for a design convention that takes place every year, its branding manual, stationery and other items related to the convention.
This convention was called "Ciclo de Conversas", which is a direct translation for Cycle of Talks. It consisted on a series of talks about design and multimedia with various professionals from these areas.
This project was developed with very special focus on its concept, so only relevant work will be shown.
- The research started by finding a keyword that reminded a universal way of communication that could be related with the name of the convention. Eventually, the tree of words gathered around this research, converged to audio frequencies and magnetic tapes. Without sound, and it's wave frequencies we could not talk, which is the basis of communication.
I got a an audio tape and focused on its middle elements, which design and detail reminded me of a ruler. A ruler is directly connected to measurements, which also connects back to design.
- Then it was obvious for me to connect the circular measurement design with geographic coordinates, parallel lines and meridians, in a way that all those details joined together would resemble somewhat of a radar.
- Having the word "radar" got me an abstract picture where the world had all these connection lines meaning propagation of frequencies. So I've decided to make it in photoshop for visualization.
- Then I realized that instead of measuring angles or geographic coordinates, It could measure propagation of the sound.
I recorded the word "Cycle" with a microphone, and got these are the revolving waves of the sound produced while saying this word.
Then I started to create the logo. The first letters of the name of the convention were recorded and the length of the audio wave that represented each sound, was used as the radius of the circle that would represent it later.
- So, a metric system was invented, where the letters of the Abecedarium were the the new measurements. The center of each letter would be the coordinate of the center of each circle that represents that letter. The logo was designed with the intersection of all the initial letters from the name of the convention.
- Because the convention is about communication, in this example, only the intersection of the propagation between the center of J and M are valid. The rest is redundant, where one element is only sending information and not receiving it.
- Since you can convert audio frequencies to the visible light spectrum, each letter has its own color, ranging from all visible colors.
Every orator could have his own logo mark, depending on their initials. A script using processing was developed to make a personal logo based on letters.
- Two languages were developed with the new alphabet;
- One where each first letter is directly traduced into the whole word.
- and another where every letter is used, but the ones that represent the letters used in the sentence are filled.
- An activation manual was also created. If you matched the letters in the cover with the letters in the acetates you could see the end result and with a light projector, you could project your name onto any surface to see the end result.